The State of U.P. Through the C.B.I. vs. Rajesh Talwar & Another
(Aarushi Talwar Murder Case or Noida double murder case)
Bench Composition: S. LAL, H.J.S.
Description: R.C. No.1(S)/2008/SCR-III/CBI/NEW DELHI
Appeal no. Sessions Trial No. 477 of 2012
- 14-year-oldAarushi Talwar and 45-year-old Hemraj Banjade, a domestic worker, employed by her family in Noida, India killed on the night of 15–16 May 2008 at Aarushi’s home.
- Aarushi’s body was discovered on 16 May, Hemraj, the missing servant was considered as the main suspect, but later the servant’s body was discovered on the terrace of the building.
- Weather the domestic servant would have murdered Aarushi.
- If father Rajesh Talwar can be said to be involved in the murder.
- In November 2013, the parents were convicted and sentenced tolife imprisonment.
- The finding of dead body of the servant brings to the conclusion that he has not murdered Aarushi.
- Also, the court found the parents guilty on the ground of honor killing of the girl, which was though very surprising and unbelievable for the Court and the public.
- Though in 2009, CBI handed over the investigation to a new team, which recommended closing the case due to critical gaps in the evidence.
- On basis of the circumstantial evidence, Rajesh Talwar was named as the sole suspect of the murder, but was not charged due to lack of any hard evidence.
- In 2008, Balaji Telefilms depicted an “inspired” version of the murder case on their soap opera Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki.
- A digital content company, Arré, has created a podcast about this case titled Trial By Error: The Aarushi Files.
- Journalist Avirook Sen has written a book titled Aarushi, released in 2015. The book argues that Aarushi’s parents are the victims of a miscarriage of justice.
- Japanese film Rashomon, Talvardepicts three contradictory accounts of the case, including the parents’ version
- The 2015 film Rahasya(mystery) was inspired by the twin murders.
- A Delhi based record label, Moxx Music, has released a song ‘Sazaa – Kehti Hai Antaratma‘ on Aarushi’s 22nd birthday in support of Aarushi’s parents in association of a community called ‘JusticeNow’.
- Talvar, another 2015 film, written by Vishal Bhardwaj and directed by Meghna Gulzar, is also based on the Aarushi-Hemraj murder case.