The Indian Passport application and renewal process:Rules for Issuing and Renewal of Passports in India
An Indian passport is a passport issued by order of the President to citizens of India for the purpose of international travel. It allows the bearer to travel internationally and serves as proof of Indian citizenship as per the Passports Act (1967). As per the recent reports Indian passports are issued
- at 162 Indian diplomatic missions abroad and
- at 93 passport offices located across India.
ISSUING OF PASSPORTS:
Classes of persons to whom the different classes of passports and travel documents may be issued.
|Ordinary passport||“Type P” passport, for personal.||deep black cover||ordinary citizens for ordinary travel.|
|Official passport||“Type S” passport, for service||white cover||individuals representing the Indian government on official business|
|Diplomatic passport||“Type D” passport for diplomatic||maroon cover||Indian diplomats, top ranking government officials and diplomatic couriers|
HOW AND WHERE TO APPLY FOR A PASSPORT?
- The Passport Seva (Passport Service) unit of the Consular, Passport & Visa (CPV) Division of the Ministry of External Affairs.
- It is responsible for issuing Indian passports on demand to all eligible Indian citizens.
- It functions as the central passport organization
PASSPORT APPLICATION FORM:
Passport Forms are in Portable Document Format. For different passports one has to fill different forms. One can access the forms for passports at:
Revocation of the passport:
- the passport or travel document is in wrongful possession.
- passport or travel document was obtained by the suppression of material information .
- if there is a warrant or summons for the appearance, or a warrant for the arrest,
- if proceedings in respect of an offence .
- the passport authority deems it necessary so to do in the interests of the integrity & sovereignty of India.
- if the holder has been convicted for any offence involving moral turpitude and sentenced imprisonment.
Refuse to issue passport by the passport authority or centre if the appellant is:
- engage in such country in activities prejudicial to the sovereignty and integrity of India:
- detrimental to the security of India;
- not in the public interest;
- is not a citizen of India;
- convicted for any offence involving moral turpitude and sentenced imprisonment
- warrant or summons for the appearance, or a warrant for the arrest, of the applicant has been issued by a court.
PROCESS FOR INDIAN PASSPORT RENEWAL / RE-ISSUE:
- Register Online at Passport Seva Website :
- the passport office as per your current residential address and register.
- Enter basic details like Name, date of birth, login ID, password, hint question, and register.
- activate your account
- Go to Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport
- Click on that and enter details.
- Fill Application:
The online system will show as Alternative 1 and Alternative 2 . It does not matter what you use, both work the same. Fill:
- current address details.
- Change details like adding Spouse info, their info as per document (if any)
- Add details of two local references which shall be for police verification, if required.
- Pay and Book a Slot or Walk –in, Print Application Receipt:
- Once application is created, check for available slots and then pay for the same.
- There is an option on the website home page to check the slots as well.
- Anyways, once your application is submitted.
- Once payment is complete, print the application receipt and carry that with you on the appointment day.
- There will have a bar code as well which should be clearly printed and it has the payment confirmation info on it.
- If you find something wrong in the details bring to the notice of passport service kendra.
- List of documents for Indian Passport Renewal / Re-issue
- print out the online form
- Original Old Passport that is expired or expiring.
- Same Address as in your Old Passport :
- photo copy of your passport first page, last page and the page with ECNR info.
- self-attestation ( your own signature)
- You may carry current address proof
- Change in Address:
- Just like above.
- Address proof of change in address.
- Add Spouse Name, Change :
- original and photo copy of your marriage certificate.
- That shall be self attested.
- For change of any details: original with photo copy signed by the holder.
Passport Seva Kendra:
- If you have got a slot, go at that exact time or 15 min before,
- If you are eligible for walk in, you can do that.
Do I need a Passport Agent? What value do they add? No
State of Orissa v. Binapani Dei
It is well settled that any order which has civil consequences must be passed after giving opportunity of hearing to a party.
It is upon the passport authority of India to decide if to impound the passport or not.
As impounding of a passport may have some civil consequences, the concerned authority is duty bound to provide an opportunity to hear the person concerned.
Maneka Gandhi v. Union of India and Anr
Here it was observed by this Court that ‘personal liberty’ within the meaning of Article21 includes within its ambit the right to go abroad and hence no person shall be deprived of this fundamental right except as per the procedure prescribed by law.