Case Name – K.M. Nanavati Vs State Of Maharastra
Citation: 1962 AIR 605 1962 SCR Supl. (1) 567
- Subbarao. K.
- Das. S.K.
- Dayal. Raghubar
Introduction: “ye raste h pyaar ke” starring sunil dutt, was the movie based on this murder trial. The basic crux of the case revolves around the fact that Nanavati murdered his wife’s lover, Prem Ahuja.
Facts of the case:
- M.Nanavati was a Navel commander in Mumbai who was married to a English lady slyvia.
- Since Nanavati went on long voyages, his wife slyvia out of lonliness fell in love with nanvati’s friend Prem Ahuja.
- Ahuja on the other hand promised that he would marry her.
- On one fine day slyvia confessed her thoughts to her husband Nanavati out of sudden provocation went to search for Ahuja.
- Then in between the exchange of words Nanavati fired bullets to Ahuja.
- He was booked under section 302 of IPC
- Whether the action of Nanavati was out of sudden provocation or a pre planned murder?
It was during the trial where things of actual shades came out. Nanavati after meeting Ahuja asked for his intention to get married to Slyvia and accepting his children. When Ahuja passed a statement saying ‘ should i marry every woman i sleep with’, infuriated Nanavati and he shot him.
He then went upto the police station and confessed his crime.
He was booked u/s 302 and imprisoned for 3 years, however Ahuja’s sister gave a written testimony of granting him pardon.
He was then pardoned.
K.M. Nanavati Vs State Of Maharastra – Indian Kanoon